18.7.12

Daddy Pilot (DP)


Back stage at The Hummingbird Club 
Background:
Pilot was born under the Virgo sign in Birmingham and started on PCRL in 1985. He hates people that don't keep their promises and loves his family. He was influenced by Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X and Rosa Parks. Interests lie in the media, football, boxing and athletics and he is qualified in mechanical engineering, electronics information technology and the media.

I find it very hard to begin but when your talking about yourself, let me tell you, it's tough to start. OK. less of the waffle, I'll just give the readers some details about myself. Born in Handsworth, actually on Murdoch Road, those of you who live in Handsworth, will know where it is. School, I attended Rookery Road Infants an Juniors, then went on to Handsworth Wood Boys School.

My favorite subjects were maths, English, geography and music. Physical Education was also one of my pastimes, but you can't really call that a subject, could you?
When I left school, various directions as to a career went though my mind, I decided on engineering and gained my Mechanical Engineering Certificate in that field, but since being an active community radio broadcaster, new ambitions have taken root and hopefully will flourish.  

 As a Virgo, 29th, of August to be exact, Ha! you thought I'd give the year away, it is said that people born under this sign have good endurance and do not show the ravages of time, well I don't know about that. We are also emotional and determined, on self analysis I would agree with both traits to an extent.

Pilot with Bill Duffus (a big 'Talk-back' supporter)
One thing that means more to me than anything is good health, my philosophy is a heathy body, health mind so I watch what I eat. I wouldn't say I was paranoid, pastie & chips goes down quite well. Sleep, I try to get just enough sometimes 3-4 hours this doesn't sound a lot but I perform simple stretching exercises just before I go to bed, I'll swear this helps me sleep well, my belief is quality not quantity.

(taken from the PCRL Bulletin magazine No.1)

Ed: As well as being the Mr.Talk Back Pilot  he is also the male voice on the Black Heroes Past and Present programs that ran for 5 years at 8 pm and repeated again at midnight.

It seams that Pilot is a man of very few words when it comes to the PCRL website after all it was HIS idea to have a site and he still hasn't written us one article yet - don't hold your breath readers!
The picture above is Pilot & Bro' Bill Duffus ( the 'Wake Up Black Man' author) who helped a lot on the 'Talk-Back' program.

Music likes:
My tastes tend to be wide ranging, in fact, anything that sounds nice to my ears is OK. with me.
Would you believe that Jim Reeves, The Beatles, as well as Fats Domino and the Kalin Twins (who are they you ask yourself) are just a few of the artists I like to listen to.

In my days as a sound-system operative I obviously couldn't express all my musical tastes where as radio allows you that little bit more freedom. Mind you I feel that running a sound-system did help me in certain aspects of radio broadcasting 'Supertone'' that's the name of the sound, gave me fond memories and gave me a great insight into the entertainment world , still I think sound-system operatives of today have it far easier, some may disagree.

Pilot's Top  Twenty:
Malcolm X, Mohamed Ali, Louis Armstrong, Chaka Zulu, Ralf Abernathy, Bobby Seals,  P. Lamumba, Huey P. Newton, Benjamin Banneker, Daniel Haile Williams, Booker T. Washington, Gabiel Prosser, Imi Teck, Bob Marley, Elijah McCoy, Louis Farrakhan, Mary Seacole, Megar Evers, Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Martin, Luther King Jr., and Marcus Garvey. (in no order)

Audio via Pirate Archive: (to listen click red text)
Pilot & Coley Ranks (New Years Eve 1993-4 )


Selected Talk-Back shows (they were recorded an repeated in the following week) Hundreds were taken away from Pilot's home before his court case!
04/01/98 
What will you do to better yourself? Audrey Allen has won "RACE competition"
25/01/98 
Guest = Sted Wallen + he has a night club Supremes, 140 High Street, West Brom. Phone in about supporting black business.
15/02/98 
Brothers from RACE and Audrey Allen - guests
22/02/98 
Middle East Situation - Negotiations between US + GB Freemasons. Phone in. Jamaica + Nigeria Football game being shown at FCF Social Club, 178 Soho Road, Handsworth.
15/03/98 
How the media makes us think + Budget - what would you like to see in it? Sister Helena guests.
22/03/98 
Mothering Sunday edition, what it means to be a mother + What is greed?
29/03/98 
Alton Manning inquest talk + talk with his sister, Patricia Manning and Brother Maxie Hayles. Also sickle cell.
05/04/98 
Windrush Ship Anniversary 1948. Info on.. Handsworth Central Club, Nioniva Road, B21. Info on Nation Of Islam and Elijah Muhammad.
10/05/98 
Arms to Sierra Leone - Sandy Lion International. Guest are from Holly Tabernacle ministry.
25/05/98 
What significance does world history play in our future? G8 Conference in B,ham + Third World dept - would this solve Africa's problems? Would they borrow more mony?
31/05/98 
Who are the black professionals? What is a profession? Rose - career's advisor, Wayne - lottery board, Afrene lawyer.
07/06/98 
What is black life worth? Has it any value? To who?
21/07/98 
The black pioneers who came here in the 40's 50's. Port Antonio hospital appeal to be held at the Albert Hall, 1 Witton Road, Aston. Many sponsors are  named. Author of "The Arrestable Rise of Multcultural Britain" - guest.
23/08/98 
Thanks to Albert Hall for their PCRL fund raiser last night. Letter red out. Chrysalis owning Heart FM  wanting to aquire Choice FM, and stations overlap. Public interest test. 10,000 black men gather in Trafalgar Square for Day Of Atonement. 16/10 Respite walk for sickle cell patients and their careers. 12/09
30/08/98 
What is Vision 2000? Brother Bill Duffus is behind it, and he is a studio guest. Fostering + adoption.
06/09/98 
Guests in the studio from OSCAR - org. for sickle cell = Sonia Smith and Fay Thompson.
20/09/98 
PCRL raided on Aug 4th and have since had donations - thanks. Hurricane George in the Caribbean. Are we partying our lives away? These times are very turbulent.
27/09/98 
Extended program till midnight. 10,000 Man March - discussion. Guests - Elaine, Paul Twinas, Emmanuel, Lincoln. Minister Louis Faraknan - a documentary made on him.
04/10/98 
Domestic violence phone in. Dr. Patricia Newton gives presentation in UK on " The Transformation of the African Mind using Knowledge".
25/10/98 
Letter from OSCAR - 45 Villa Road, Handsworth re Walkathon 98. £744.36 raised in tins. More reports on hurricanes.
01/11/98 
The New World Order - 1 hour tape played inc. history of the Free Masons.
22/11/98 
Teenage gang rape - played extracts from channel 4 show - the same footage that was show on Darcus Howe tape.
06/12/98 
Brotherly and sisterly love, how we "engender" this? Daniel Brown murder "Our own murdering our own". Emotions they corrupt.
19/11/98 
Teenage Gang Rape - footage from channel 4 show and debate.
28/12/98 
Open Forum - tape of Louis Farraknan speech played.
25/11/01 
Marcus Garvey discussion - tape of Brother Steppus played. Guests - Sister Ancovia, Brother Joseph, Jamaican Brother Rahoo.


Pilot & Miss PCRL 1987 at I-Deal Record Shop fundraiser

No comments:

Post a Comment